2016-2017 Application Steps

Graduate or professional students who wish to apply for student loans and/or federal work-study should read through the following application steps. Keep in mind that you may be required to complete certain forms in order to be considered for the various types of assistance. Missing forms will result in an incomplete application, which will delay your award letter.

Complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA and UCAPP if you will enroll for Summer 2016 and would like to apply for federal aid.

Complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA if you will enroll between Autumn 2016 and Spring 2017 and would like to apply for federal aid.

Students applying for an Alternative loan, do not need to complete a FAFSA or UCAPP. Visit the Alternative loan steps for application instructions.

Step 1: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) here.

When filing your FAFSA:

Add our Federal school code (E00377)

File your FAFSA on-line.  Beginning May 2015, the FSA user ID (user-created username and password) replaced the Federal PIN as the login process for FSA student and borrower-based websites.  Create an FSA user ID here.

After the FAFSA is processed (allow two weeks), you will receive a SAR (Student Aid Report) summarizing your information.  Resolve any incorrect information via the FAFSA web site, or by returning the corrected and signed SAR.  If you do not receive your SAR within four weeks, or if you need to request a duplicate, call 800-433-3243.

Note: All graduate students are considered independent when determining Federal loan and work-study eligibility. We do not require that you list parental income on the FAFSA. 

**Summer Students Only**

**Step 2: For Summer Students

Complete the UChicago Application for Graduate Loans & Federal Assistance (UCAPP), via your my.UChicago portal.   All students applying for federal student loans and/or work-study for Summer 2016 should complete the UCAPP.  

 Step 3: Complete the Federal Direct Unsubsidized, Graduate PLUS & Alternative Loan Applications and Promissory Notes

Finish the Federal Direct and/or Alternative loan processes by completing the appropriate application and promissory note for each loan for which you are applying.

First-time Federal Direct loan borrowers must complete and sign a new Master Promissory Note (MPN) in order to receive a Federal Direct Unsubsidized or Graduate PLUS Loan. You do not need to complete another Direct Unsubsidized or Graduate PLUS MPN if you borrowed this type of loan within the past ten years at the University of Chicago or at another institution. The MPN is valid for ten years, after which, you must complete a new one. 


New for 2016-2017 In addition to the Graduate PLUS MPN, students applying for the Graduate PLUS loan are required to complete the Graduate PLUS loan application at Studentloans.gov. Students may begin completing the Graduate PLUS loan application in April 2016.  A credit-check (valid for 180 days) is required for the Graduate PLUS.   

You will need your FSA ID in order to complete the Federal Direct loan application and master promissory note (MPN). 

Note: When completing the MPN and selecting the School from the drop-down menu, you will have four options for the University of Chicago. Please select the option that reads: UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO (THE) – GRADUATE SCHOOL.

  •   Apply for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan here.
  •   Apply for Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan here.
  •   First-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers complete Entrance Loan         Counseling (Federal Direct Unsubsidized, and Federal Direct                 Graduate PLUS loan borrowers) here.
  •   Apply for Alternative Loans here.

Step 4: Report Other Assistance                                                                                    Report aid from other sources (Ameri-Corps, tuition assistance, outside scholarships, etc.), that is not listed on your award letter, to our office via my.UChicago. Select 'Report Aid from Other Sources', under Finances. We may need to make adjustments to your loan and/or Federal Work-Study funding based on the aid reported.

Note: You are not required to report Gift Aid from your department or division as it is reported internally.

Please view information about processing your application here.