Eligibility Criteria

Loan and work-study eligibility is based on the cost of attendance, assistance from other sources, as well as, the following criteria. Please direct questions about scholarships to the Dean of Students in the division or school for which you are interested in.

U.S. citizens, nationals, and permanent residents and other eligible non-citizens of the United States, enrolled in a degree-seeking program, may apply for both Federal and non-Federal assistance.


·         International students may apply only for non-Federal Alternative Loan                   funds.

·         Ph.D. candidates in extended residence status are ineligible for student                 loans (Federal or otherwise) or work-study.

·         Graham School Students in non-degree-seeking programs, such as the                    Student-at-Large, Certificate, and the Summer Program, are ineligible for                Federal assistance and may apply for an Alternative loan only to cover                   tuition, fees, and books.


Criteria to receive Federal loan and work-study funds

You must:

·         Be a citizen, national, permanent resident, or other eligible non-citizen of               the United States

·         Be enrolled at least half time (200 units or more) in a program leading to a             degree (Ph.D. candidates must maintain either scholastic, advanced                       residency, or pro-forma status and be enrolled at least 200 units.)

·         Demonstrate Federal financial need (except for the Federal Direct                           Unsubsidized Stafford and Graduate PLUS Loans).

·         Have a valid U.S. social security number.

·         Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by your specific                       program as well as the Department of Education.

·         Be in compliance with Selective Service registration, if male.

·         Not be in default on any educational loan and not owe a refund on a grant             or a loan at any institution.

·         Not have been convicted of certain drug offenses (see question 23 of the               FAFSA for more details and exceptions).

·         Comply with Federal regulations governing the use of funds for educational           purposes.

·         Be creditworthy if applying for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan.


Criteria to receive non-Federal, Alternative Loan funds

You must:

·         Be enrolled for each quarter that you wish to receive funds.

·         Be a creditworthy citizen, national, permanent resident, or other eligible                 non-citizen of the United States. In most cases, you may apply without a                 cosigner or endorser. However, if not approved, you may wish to apply                   with a credit-worthy cosigner or endorser. Before applying for these                        funds, we encourage you to apply first for Federal assistance.

·         Be an International student with an eligible cosigner or endorser. The                     cosigner or endorser must be a creditworthy citizen, national or permanent           resident of the United States who meets the lender’s requirements.

IMPORTANT: International students must have an F1, F2, J1, or J2 student or exchange visitor’s visa. A lender may require an International student to have a valid U.S. social security number in order to apply for an Alternative loan.