Maintaining Eligibility

Federal regulations require all graduate students who receive Title IV Federal student aid (loans, work-study and grants) to make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward completion of their degree in order to continue receiving student aid.

Title IV Federal Aid That Fall Within These Guidelines:

  • Federal Work-Study
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Direct Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized)
  • Federal Direct PLUS (GradPLUS) Loan
  • Federal TEACH Grant

Three components to maintaining satisfactory academic progress includes:

  • Maintaining an acceptable, cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 or the minimum required by the division/school for graduation; whichever is higher
  • Completing a minimum of at least 66% of all attempted cumulative units (whether units count towards degree or not)
  • Successfully completing degree-required coursework within 150% of the normal time frame allotted by their division/school

Students Who Fail To Earn At Least One Passing Grade In A Given Quarter:

If you fail to earn at least one passing grade for a quarter, the University must treat you as an unofficial withdrawal and return 50% of the Title IV funds disbursed to you. Grades must be submitted and posted to the University's Registrar system within 30 days from the last day of the quarter.

If you receive Title IV Federal aid and you fail to earn at least one passing grade of ‘D’ or better in at least one enrolled course, you are considered unofficially withdrawn for Title IV Federal aid purposes. Student Loan Administration must cancel and return 50% of the Title IV Federal loans and/or TEACH grant funds you received to the government. If the return results in a balance due on your tuition bill, you must pay such outstanding charges immediately.

Please review the entire Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
2017 -2018 Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form