Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study program provides an excellent opportunity for you to earn money from part-time employment, which is paid by both the government and your campus employer. Eligible students are allowed to work for on-campus departments or local off-campus positions. Federal Work-study funds are extremely limited and you are encouraged to apply early. Funds are typically exhausted before the academic year begins and are based on financial need on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Program features:

  • Funds are earned and paid during the course of the academic year
  • Maximum amount of funds are found on the award letter
  • You must maintain at least half-time enrollment, except during the Summer quarter
  • Maximum number of work hours per week is based on University of Chicago policy as stated in the Student Manual
  • Jobs held during the Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters terminate at the end of the Spring quarter or the last date of enrollment, whichever comes first.
  • Jobs held in the summer terminate at the end of the Summer quarter
  • Apply for job opportunities here.

The Student Operations/Work-Study Office will notify you when your earnings are within $300 of their total allotment. Once you’ve reached your earnings limit as indicated on your award letter, you can no longer participate in the program for that work period. However, you may continue your position if your employer is willing to pay the full salary.

Summer Federal Work-Study

There are limited Federal Work-Study funds that you can use during the Summer quarter. Eligible students are either enrolled for the Summer quarter or will be a continuing student (one who has enrolled during the previous school year and will enroll during the subsequent Autumn quarter).

Note: Due to limited funds, first year students who are not enrolled at least halftime during the Summer will not be awarded Federal work-study.

Cancellation of Work-Study Funds

You are required to return your payroll form to the Student Operations/Work-Study Office by January 31, 2015, to prevent automatic cancellation of awarded work-study funds (Autumn, Winter or Spring quarter). If you’re a summer work-study recipient, you must return your payroll form by July 31, 2014. If you foresee difficulty with meeting these deadlines, please notify Student Operations by calling (773) 702-6457.